Even if he were my own cat, I would have made the same decision. If the vet had said his chances were higher, I would have elected treatment. But I am incredibly sad, because Jasper was the sweetest and the friendliest of the bunch, and he was my favorite. And just a few hours ago, he was fine.
Saturday, October 04, 2008
Jasper was very lethargic this afternoon and after a few hours, it was obvious that he was very ill. Oscar and I took him to the emergency vet where we found out that he was very close to death, and his body temperature was so low that it didn't even register on the thermometer (meaning it was less than 80 degrees F, instead of the healthy 100 degrees F). The vet estimated his chance of survival at less than 25% so we opted to let him go. (Based on the symptoms, the vet is concerned that he had panleukopenia, a highly infectious virus, so I need to notify the Humane Society tomorrow and keep a close eye on the other kittens.)