Wednesday, March 05, 2008

overall, it's improvement

Despite hitting a weight loss milestone this week (fitting into smaller jeans), I did end up gaining 0.6 lbs. Sigh.

I can think of a few reasons for this:
1. I didn't have a chance to use the toilet before my weigh in. (You think that's over-reacting? They weigh you to the 1/10th of a lb; that's approximately 40grams. You bet I'm going to pee before weigh in.)
2. I haven't had a chance to exercise as much this week. Because of the class, I've been sitting much more than I usually do during the day.
3. Girl Scout cookies.

The good thing about this class is that we get out between 4 and 4:30 and it only takes me 30 minutes to get home. Yes, I'm driving, which I don't like; but it's still light out when I get home, which I like a lot. The VE course is getting much more interesting, which is not too surprising because it could hardly get more boring. It's not that the VE process is dull (it's actually rather interesting, I think); it's because with every training course I've had led by a federal agency, the baseline assumption is that you aren't very smart and must be given LOTS and LOTS of time to grasp rather basic concepts.

(Thankfully, the instructor is feeling better and I'm no longer worried that he's going to drop dead during the class. He actually has lifelike color to his face and he's not making any weird comments anymore.)

We are now putting the theory into practice by doing a mini-VE study on a sample project. I got a compliment from one of the instructors, who told me that I did a good job of keeping the team on track during the brainstorming and evaluation sessions. I hadn't realized he was monitoring us during those periods, so that was a nice thing to hear. Later, one of the agency VE leaders asked me if I'd be interested in actually leading VE teams instead of just being a team member.

No comments: