Thursday, March 20, 2008

Grad school finally paid off!

I was sent this email this morning:

Good morning Luneray. You hopefully will be hearing from the bosses about this deviation soon. But if you get it without a word of appreciation, then here's some Kudos from me. Your deviation was without a doubt the best I have ever seen, written, or reviewed. Great job! As far as I'm concerned, it should be used as a statewide example of the "right way" to write a deviation.


Here's what I liked about it:

1. You did a great job of setting up the existing, proposed, and future work in your Project Overview. I've never seen better. So well organized. Clean, to the point, but all was said that needed to be. Everything labeled and organized (Intro, the configurations, the funded and unfunded, etc). Well done.

2. You did the same in the existing conditions. It was well organized and said what was needed without clouding issues. The reader knew what the deviation condition was and what standards were being deviated. Enough said and move on.

3. Your Alternatives also were good, clean, and organized. Enough said and move on.

4. Your justifications are strong. They raise good compelling arguments supporting the deviation. It is totally clear that it is a time limited deviation that can be corrected with future funded work. And, you make it clear that you are aware of such future work although it is not funded yet. Luneray, you wouldn't believe how hard it is to have a deviation writer to come out and just say these things, so again well done.

5. Bottom line this is a true stand alone document that can hold up in court through the test of time and that is the product we are trying to have produced.

In closing, I realize that project engineers reviewed this and their comments were incorporated before my review. However, I'm sure that even they could not have made this silk purse from a sow's ear. I'm sure they had a good sound product to work with. Once more, well done, and you have a great day.

HQ Design Office

Let me repeat the important bits:

"...the best I have ever seen, written, or reviewed"

"...it should be used as a statewide example of the 'right way' to write a deviation."

Happy dance, happy dance!

Of course I forwarded it to my supervisor. Duh.

No comments: