Saturday, March 14, 2009

25 Things About Me--The Musical Edition

  1. I have almost no musical skill despite having years of formal musical instruction in clarinet, guitar, saxophone, trombone, and flute. I can read music but I can’t keep time.

  2. I also learned to play the Scottish bagpipes. These are a much easier instrument than the others as there are only nine notes. But I still can’t keep time.

  3. I can’t sing either.

  4. With very few exceptions, my knowledge of popular music does not include any bands or songs released after 1996.

  5. I can’t stand Boston (the band, not the city). My dislike is visceral. Their music literally makes my stomach hurt.

  6. ELO is a guilty pleasure. I love it when one of their songs comes on the radio, and I will turn it up and hum or sing along.

  7. I would say that Franz Ferdinand is my “favorite” band at the moment.

  8. Past favorite bands have been U2, Simple Minds, REM, and Radiohead.

  9. The Beatles? I loved their music then, I love it now, and I will love it in the future.

  10. AC/DC is another guilty pleasure.

  11. Three bands that I loved in high school but was too “cool” to admit it are Duran Duran (didn’t want to be associated with the girls who wanted to marry Simon Le Bon), Def Leppard (didn’t want to be associated with the boys I thought were jerks), and Huey Lewis and the News (because I thought I couldn’t be cool and like this band).

  12. The bedroom in our Seattle apartment was right next door to an English pub which piped music from the jukebox to the outdoor patio. Even with the windows closed, we could clearly hear the jukebox selections. From the time the Verve released their song “Bittersweet Symphony’ in 1997 to October 2006 when we moved, we heard that damn song no fewer than three times Every. Single. Night. Amazingly, I still like the song but Oscar would be very happy if he never had to hear it again.

  13. However, I would be very happy if I never had to hear “Hotel California” again. I have hit my lifetime limit on that song.

  14. I’ve also hit my lifetime limit for “Bela Lugosi’s Dead” by Bauhaus. This is a very painful thing for this former Goth to admit to herself.

  15. Most people can list their favorite songs, and even rank them all but I used to work with a guy who had a list of his five least favorite songs, in order. I can’t remember his entire list but number one (least liked) was “Scarborough Fair” by Queensryche.

  16. I really loved Blondie when I was a kid, and when I got older I really liked the Pretenders. I thought Debbie Harry was cool but I wanted to BE Chrissie Hynde.

  17. My favorite Beatles song has always been “I am the Walrus”. It’s so weird!

  18. I have been trying for the past 10 years to develop an appreciation for opera and I am making progress.

  19. Not knowing how to play guitar is an advantage when playing Guitar Hero.

  20. A few years ago, I got Franz Ferdinand’s first CD and the Hobbit video game at about the same time. I listened to this CD endlessly while playing that game and to this day, whenever I hear any song off that CD, I get a mental image of maneuvering Bilbo Baggins through that game. Every. Single.Time.

  21. I don’t think I’m passionate about music but some songs have made me literally stop everything I’m doing in order to listen to the song: “The Quiet Man” by Jonny Hardie and Gavin Marwick (Scottish folk song medley), “Vocalise” composed by Wojceich Kilar and sung by Sumi Jo, and “Hallelujah” covered by Jeff Buckley.

  22. I have never been able to listen to “Neroli” by Brian Eno. I swear there is something subliminal in that composition that makes me grind my teeth and finally stop the CD because I literally can’t stand it anymore. But the music is not overtly annoying and I can’t tell you what bothers me so much.

  23. I’ve never been able to develop an appreciation for King Crimson, although I feel like I ought to.

  24. My favorite movie soundtrack is “The Ninth Gate” composed by Wojceich Kilar. The movie isn’t very good but the music is incredible. I bought this CD just for the theme song (see #21) but every track is great.

  25. I think “The Ideal Copy” from Wire and “Sons and Fascination” by Simple Minds have stood the test of time.


1 comment:

sunt_lacrimae_rerum said...

In re #18: Check out the Metropolitan Opera Live HD series...
http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/broadcast/hd_events_next.aspx