Sunday, May 09, 2010

Neighborhood 1; Luneray 0

Ok neighbors. You win. I hired someone to mow my frakkin' lawn so it will be all very tidy from now on and hopefully you will stop thinking of me as trash. Believe it or not, "dear" neighbors, some people do not think that a frequently-mowed lawn is cornerstone of a good citizenship.

Oh, and by the way, you were wondering why I have so many butterflies in my yard? I don't spray my plants with pesticides every week to kill off the "nasty flies and creepy spiders". This is quite likely the reason that you never see any butterflies nor bees in your yard, but you may blame cellphones all you wish.

In happier news, I went down to the Mima Mounds yesterday, which is one of my favorite places in the state. It's a small nature reserve tucked between some horse ranches about a 45 minute drive from my house. The wildflowers have begun to bloom, and right now the most abundant flowers are blue camas and yellow buttercup. The whole prarie was blue, liberally streaked with yellow. It was gorgeous. The mounds look particularly amazing in the late spring/early summer when more wildflowers are blooming because it's more obvious that each mound has a unique ecosystem. What's growing on one mound may not be on the next, even though there's only a foot or two between the base of one mounds from the others surrounding it. This last year has been so spectacularly crappy in my life, and for a few hours I felt so truly happy for the first time in ages that I really wished that all my friends were with me to share the moment. So I texted them. :) Yes, the mounds may be remote, but the cellphone reception was great. :)

1 comment:

Rachael said...

Glad to hear you had a nice spring day! I think I'll have to take a drive to go see those mounds! And I say keep your butterflies! As long as you are not commited to an HOA contract you don't have to mow your lawn so there, neener neener.