Wednesday, March 31, 2010


Last night, I actually slept. I fell asleep at a regular time and woke up without any trouble. (Actually, Sheba woke me up because she wanted under the covers. I let her under and settled back in to go back to sleep and then I heard my alarm start to go off. (Bummer.) My triple alarm system wasn’t even necessary this morning, even though I did lay in bed for several minutes, grumbling, until I couldn’t stand the noise anymore and got up to shut the alarm off. (No, the animals are not part of the alarm system. I’d thought for sure that they’d prevent me from really oversleeping because they’d pester me if they wanted to go outside or have their breakfast. Well, the dogs would rather bust their guts than get off the bed or eat breakfast. I guess I’m not too surprised about that, but I was really sure that one of the cats would wake me up for breakfast. Nope.)

Up until last week, I had only a dual alarm system, and one more than one occasion was not successful at overcoming my hibernation. The first alarm is a really loud and obnoxious one that is set outside the bedroom so that I have to physically get up and shut it off. (Another benefit of having a small house.) The second alarm is a friend who calls me between 6:30 and 6:45. And the third is one set up on the coffee table for 7am. I set it up there because several times, I woke up on the couch despite having fallen asleep in my bed. So, I am either 1) sleepwalking or 2) shutting off the primary alarm and then lying down on the couch with no memory of getting up. I certainly hope it’s 2) because sleepwalking is really not something I want to have to deal with at the moment. (Or ever, for that matter.) Well, the system did work because the other day, I woke up from a dream in which I was locked in a small room full of alarm clocks. All of the alarms were going off, but I couldn’t shut any of them off. I started yanking the plugs from the outlets, and then I woke up and saw that it was 7:55. That buzzer had been going off two feet from my ear for fifty-five minutes before it cut through my slumber. Yeah, I was late to work but I made it in, so I count that as a victory.


Rachael said...

Nothing better than a good nights sleep (well, maybe a good nights sleep after great sex, but really I would give up the latter for the former on most days).
Maybe the sleeping is your body's way of dealing with life?
Just glad you are able to get a few winks here and there and wake up when you need too.

Lilbee68 said...

Hi there! I just started reading your recent entries and wow, I had no idea you were going through all this! I'm so sorry--but I'm glad you have a good support system at work, that's got to help immensely!

Sleep is important. It's a big processing mechanism, remember. You've been through a lot (mental stress is a killer). It's not surprising that all you want is sleep!

Keep taking care of you!!

Catherine said...

Earning money online never been this easy and transparent. You would find great tips on how to make that dream amount every month. So go ahead and click here for more details and open floodgates to your online income.

All the best.